The VU Foodbox is an exclusive offer for the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU), in combination with the Green Office VU.
You can only order this product if you are a student or staff at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU).
This box is created by Farmed Today and is a smaller version of our 'My Farmed Today Food Box'.
You can Choose between 2 sizes: Small and Regular.
The box is only available for pick-up on Tuesday between 17:00-18:00 at the Green Office at the Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam (VU). Please choose for 'Special Rate: VU Students & Staff - Pick up at Green Office' as Shipping method at Check-out.
With this box, we want to provide convenient access to the most delicious fruits and vegetables from your local surroundings.
The produce in the box are:
- sustainably farmed (with focus on the lowest impact for our environment)
- locally sourced, from small-scale Dutch farms
- providing fair margins for our Farmers (Farmers receive 3 times more than through traditional channels)
- based on seasonality (the box content changes monthly, scroll down to see the content of this month)
- including unique products (every month, we have a different vegetable or fruit of the month, which is usually not available in the average supermarket - this month we have the Jerusalem Artichoke!)
- including wonky produce to reduce food waste (not too old, only wrong shape, size or colour)
- including information of the unique products (learn about new varieties) and recipes (explore new flavours).
- of the highest quality (the produce are comparable to 'organic' produce quality and even higher. But the 'organic' label is often actually not helping small-scale farmers but pressuring them financially. Therefore we do not look at labels, but rather at the farm itself =)
- plastic & bullshit-free (No need for unnecessary packaging =)
- 100% transparently sourced (you have a questions about where one product in your box comes from or how it is grown? Message us directly and we are happy to provide you with more details and insights!)
- sourced with a shorter supply chain than the average supermarket produce (As local as possible =)
- priced lower than the average 'organic' supermarket produce (In average 10% cheaper than the same amount of 'organic' supermarket produce compared at kg level)
- including the option to add some extra sustainable & delicious products in your box (Check our webshop for more products and 'pimp-up' your box =)
- sourced in collaboration with A.G.F. Direct and Lindenhoff Farm (based in North-Holland, the Netherlands)
Please find more information about the box here, but make sure to buy the VU Foodbox, not the 'My Farmed Today Food Box' if you wish to purchase the smaller sized version!
Frequently Asked Questions:
1. How is the Box delivered?
We aim for a sustainable delivery method for our food boxes. In the Amsterdam area, we deliver only with 100% electric vehicles.
2. When is the box delivered?
The box is only available for pick-up at the Green Office VU, every Tuesday between 17:00-18:00.
Order before Friday afternoon 16:00 in order to receive your delivery the following Week.
3. What about the packaging of the box?
We do not use any plastic for our packaging. Currently, we still package the fruits & vegetables in non-reusable carton boxes. This allows us to guarantee Food Safety. We are working on implementing a solution that allows us to deliver the items in a reusable box, which can be exchanged during every delivery.
4. Are the products in the box 100% organic?
No - 'organic' is just a label which farmers often have to pay a lot of money for and which sometimes actually creates more problems in the food system than it solves. All of the products in this box however are grown under conditions that are comparable to organic and sometimes even exceed the quality of regular organic products.
5. Where are the products in the local box sourced from?
We source our products from local, small-scale Dutch and Western-European farms, such as A.G.F. Direct and the Lindenhoff Farm. The products are all grown under transparent and natural conditions with the most sustainable practices in mind and are sourced as local as possible.