#35 Kimchi Tofu Sandwiches Ⓥ
About the dish:
A creative Kimchi-tofu-sandwich recipe. 1 block of tofu makes 5 sandwiches.
Done in 20 minutes.
- ½ onion
- 1 green onion
- 1 firm tofu block
- Plant-based meat of your choice
- 1 small cup chopped Kimchi
- 3 tbsp naturally fermented soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp Gochujang (red pepper paste)
- 1 tbsp rice syrup
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 5 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Slice tofu in 0.5 cm thickness. Try to make sure that each slice is evenly sliced so the marinade and the heat can be distributed evenly as well. Be patient with your knife.
2. Put soy sauce on a dessert plate. Then carefully place the tofu into the soy sauce and flip it gently.
3. Heat up the pan with 3 tbsp vegetable oil on medium high heat. When it’s ready, add chopped Kimchi and plant-based meat. Give it a gentle stir while sauteing them.
4. When Kimchi and plant-based meat are well-mixed in together, add Gochujang and rice syrup.
5. When everything is mixed in, turn off the stove. Then add sesame oil and green onion slices into the Kimchi mix.
6. Back to tofu, heat up the wide flat pan on medium heat with 2 tbsp vegetable oil.
7. Make sure that the tofu is on some amount of oil when placed on the pan. Be careful when flipping the tofu to avoid breaking it.
8. Be patient with tofu on the heat. Each side takes about 3 minutes to brown. Don’t overcook it. It can be chewy.
9. When all the ingredients are ready. Place the tofu on a plate, add Kimchi mix and top it with another tofu. Give it a gentle press in the middle to help even out the Kimchi mix.
Korean sesame oil is made out of sesame seeds that had been double roasted and pressed. The aroma is beautifully intense because of the double roast methodology and they don’t dilute the oil by adding other vegetable oil. Hence why my aunt said we shouldn’t add the sesame oil into direct heat as it has gone through so much heat already. Also the excessive heat can vaporise the aroma too fast. So it’s best to add them when the heat is off and while other ingredients are cooling down.